Thursday, July 19, 2007

And So it Goes


Well, I went on the blind date my daughter set up and she was right he was a good looking man. Tall, beautiful brown eyes, black hair streaked with a little gray made him look very…, well let’s just say I was pleased and interested. We went to a nice restaurant and he asked me what I wanted to eat, then when the waiter came over he ordered for both of us. The wine he chose was smooth and subtle, the dinner conversation was easy, and I was feeling pretty good about this whole blind date thing. I was so pleased with how things were going that I decided that I would reward my daughter for setting me up by giving her my credit card and letting her go buy whatever she wanted, after all she picked a good one. He asked if I wanted dessert but I declined, have to watch the waistline, so he ordered for himself with the hope that I would share it with hime. Well, while we were waiting for dessert, he began to suck his teeth. At first I thought I had imagined it, but then he picked up his knife and checked his teeth for food. He began to use his fingernail to pick out the food that was stuck between his teeth, while still talking to me. Okay I thought, thats kinda gross but I can probably overlook that I mean after all everything else was great. So he needed to brush up on his table manners, that was no big deal, right? So I decided to ignore that misstep until he picked up his cloth dinner napkin and blew his nose into it. YUCK…was my eyes deceiving me, did he really do that?!! The waiter saw him do that also and asked if he needed some paper napkins, but he said no he was fine. As he was talking I noticed that he had something hanging from his nose, so at that point I excused myself and went to the ladies room. On my way there, I heard the waiter telling the other waiters and waitresses what my date had done. It could only happen to me was my first thought, my second was that my daughter wasn’t getting the credit card after all. Maybe he just wasn’t into me and he was trying to gross me out, well if that was the case he did a good job of it. By the time I returned from the bathroom, he had finished cleaning his nose with the dinner napkin and had balled it up and put it on the plate. He asked if I was ready to leave or if I wanted to go to the bar for a drink, but I told him I needed to go home. And so he took me home, he asked if we could do this again, I smiled and I thanked him for a nice evening and said good night. Maybe dating at 49 isn’t for me, maybe I should take up knitting, or adopt a bunch of cats. Oh well, at least I had a nice meal and it wasn’t from a drive thru window. So I went upstairs and showered, after showering I invited my old pals Ben and Jerry out to play, they always know how to make me feel better. Maybe I should only date them.

No comments: